How do I choose an appropriate course?
There are several factors that could affect your enrolment. Follow these steps to check if you’re eligible to enrol in a particular course:
Is it a Faculty of Arts & Science course?
When you apply to our program, you can only be considered for courses offered by the Faculty of Arts & Science. If you’re interested in studying at other divisions (Mississauga campus, Engineering courses etc.) please consult our frequently asked questions.
Is it a Rotman Commerce course?
Unfortunately, as a visiting student you’re not permitted to enrol in courses offered by the Rotman Commerce program. There are a number of reasons for this, including small class sizes and different tuition fee schedules.
Is the course affected by an Enrolment Control?
Search for the course in the Faculty of Arts & Science online timetable listings. If the course is affected by an enrolment control, you’ll see this listed in a small yellow box at the bottom of the course listing.
The three most common enrolment controls are Restricted (R), Priority (P) and Enrol at Department (E):
- As a visiting student, you are not permitted to enrol in Restricted courses.
- You can enrol in Priority courses after the priority enrolment period has ended.
- If you’re interested in a course that has an Enrol at Department indicator, contact our office for assistance.
Does the course have prerequisites, corequisites or exclusions?
Search for the course in the Faculty of Arts & Science online timetable listings. Expand the Additional Course Information box that appears at the top of the course listing. If the course has prerequisites, corequisites or exclusions, they will be listed here.
In that case, you’ll need to contact the academic department for each course to demonstrate that you’ve met the prerequisites, corequisites or exclusions. Some departments will require that you send them an unofficial version of your transcript. Make sure to do this well before the start of classes so that you aren’t removed from your courses.
To find a contact person for each academic department, consult the list of academic program advisors on the Faculty of Arts & Science website.
Have you taken the course before?
As a visiting student:
- You cannot retake a course that you’ve previously taken for credit at U of T.
- You cannot retake a course that you’ve previously taken and passed at your home institution.
Are you within the credit limitations?
As a visiting student:
- You cannot take more than 2.0 Full Course Equivalents (FCEs) during the Summer session.
- You cannot take more than 3.5 Full Course Equivalents (FCEs) during the Fall/ Winter session.
- You cannot take more than 5.0 Full Course Equivalents (FCEs) as a visiting student during your undergraduate degree studies overall.
Is there space in the course?
Make sure that the courses you list on your letter of permission still have available space. Check the Faculty of Arts & Science online timetable listings to find courses with available space.
Keep in mind that one or more of your preferred courses may be full by the time you attempt to enrol. Admission to the Visiting Students Program does not guarantee enrolment in specific courses.