Alumni-Student Mentorship Program
A career exploration program that connects students with Woodsworth College alumni who have established careers
Benefits of the Program
The Alumni-Students Mentorship Program is a one-to-one mentoring program. It provides career exploration and professional development for third- and fourth-year Woodsworth College students. The program also serves students in the Criminology & Sociolegal Studies and Industrial Relations & Human Resources programs. Alumni mentors interact with students by sharing their knowledge and experience in the workforce.
Why become a mentee?
- Connect with professionals; find your role model from within our alumni community
- Explore careers, ask questions and gain insights
- Develop your professional and personal skills
- Reflect on values and personal characteristics which will inform your career exploration
- Participate in career development and networking how-to workshops
Role and benefits of being a mentor
The mentoring relationship is based on a mutual willingness between you and your mentee to learn and share.
- Help foster the professional growth and development of your mentee
- Help your mentee explore key aspects of your profession
- Stimulate reflection about personal and professional development in your mentee
- Discuss the development of skills needed to enter your profession or the workforce in general
- Support your mentee by being available and willing to connect and give appropriate guidance and feedback
- Be open-minded, flexible, empathetic and encouraging
- Mentorship is a valuable practice which helps develop your leadership skills
- It's a great way to volunteer your time!
Danielle Carter and Tony Blair
"The Woodsworth Mentorship Program gave me the confidence I needed when applying to jobs in the real world. My mentor provided me with insight into the employment relationship, the jargon, the culture, as well as the benefits and downsides of the industry. Through the mentorship program, I received an in-depth overview of the industry I was entering, which solidified my decision to pursue it. The Woodsworth Mentorship Program is an amazing investment and I highly recommend it to anyone who is considering it. You won't be disappointed!"
"Being a mentor is a privilege and a pleasure. I have been given so much by this great institution -- the University of Toronto -- so I feel it is my duty to return, to share all that I have been given."
Zixin Huang and Dan Acheson
"The program expanded my understanding, not only on a future career, but also on life."
"Mentorship is a process of engagement, unlocking the unspoken and providing timely affirmation. It has been a delight to meet with Zixin and to exchange ideas. Being a mentor is about listening, interaction, feedback, and elaboration (LIFE!)."
Photos from recent program events
Four events are associated with the program: the opening reception, a networking how-to workshop, a special U of T wide mentor recognition event, and the closing reception.