Alumni-Students Mentorship Program
A career exploration program that connects students with Woodsworth College alumni
The Alumni-Students Mentorship Program is a one-to-one mentoring program. It provides career exploration and professional development for upper-year Woodsworth College students. The program also serves students in the Criminology & Sociolegal Studies and Industrial Relations & Human Resources programs. Alumni mentors interact with students by sharing their knowledge and experience in the workforce.
2023 - 2024
- The program will run from October 2023 to March 2024
- Mentorship pairs will meet a minimum of three times during the mentorship period, with communication via email and phone as agreed upon with your mentee
- Alumni and students will be matched one-to-one based on professional and personal interests
- Woodsworth College will host special events for mentorship participants
Why become a mentee?
- Connect with professionals; find your role model from within our alumni community
- Explore careers, ask questions and gain insights
- Develop your professional and personal skills
- Reflect on values and personal characteristics which will inform your career exploration
- Participate in career development and networking how-to workshops
Role and benefits of being a mentor
The mentoring relationship is based on a mutual willingness between you and your mentee to learn and share.
- Help foster the professional growth and development of your mentee
- Help your mentee explore key aspects of your profession
- Stimulate reflection about personal and professional development in your mentee
- Discuss the development of skills needed to enter your profession or the workforce in general
- Support your mentee by being available and willing to connect and give appropriate guidance and feedback
- Be open-minded, flexible, empathetic, and encouraging
- Mentorship is a valuable practice that helps develop your leadership skills
- It's a great way to volunteer your time!
For more information and to apply, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Testimonials & Events
Danielle Carter and Tony Blair
"The Woodsworth Mentorship Program gave me the confidence I needed when applying to jobs in the real world. My mentor provided me with insight into the employment relationship, the jargon, the culture, as well as the benefits and downsides of the industry. Through the mentorship program, I received an in-depth overview of the industry I was entering, which solidified my decision to pursue it. The Woodsworth Mentorship Program is an amazing investment and I highly recommend it to anyone who is considering it. You won't be disappointed!"
"Being a mentor is a privilege and a pleasure. I have been given so much by this great institution -- the University of Toronto -- so I feel it is my duty to return, to share all that I have been given."
Jeff Beleskey and Ali Aghaeinia
Jeff’s been great, he reassured me that you can still have a life after becoming a lawyer. And he introduced me to way more options than I thought existed. There’s no need to be limited to criminal or corporate law. Going to law school is, if anything, more of a plan now than before.
A mentor can provide a stable relationship and be an anchor for students who have many career questions.
Read more about Jeff and Ali's story on the UofT Boundless Campaign web site.
Mentorship Program 2022 Closing Event
Our 2021-22 program was concluded with an interactive Zoom wrap-up session where there were opportunities to network and reflect on the mentorship experience!