Alumni-Student Mentorship Program
A career exploration program that connects students with Woodsworth College alumni who have established careers
Benefits of the Program
The Alumni-Students Mentorship Program is a one-to-one mentoring program. It provides career exploration and professional development for third- and fourth-year Woodsworth College students. The program also serves students in the Criminology & Sociolegal Studies and Employment Relations programs. Woodsworth alumni (mentors) have a chance to interact with students by sharing their knowledge and experience in the workforce.
Why become a mentee?
- Connect with professionals; find your role model from within our alumni community.
- Explore careers, ask questions and gain insights.
- Develop your professional and personal skills.
- Reflect on values and personal characteristics which will inform your career exploration.
- Participate in career development and networking how-to workshops.
Role of the mentor
As a mentor, you will help foster the professional growth and development of your mentee. It is a relationship based on a mutual willingness between you and your mentee to learn and share.
Help your mentee explore key aspects of your profession. You can also focus on the development of skills needed to enter your profession or the workforce in general.
Some aspects and benefits of being a mentor:
- Stimulate reflection about personal and professional development in your mentee.
- Support your mentee by being available and willing to connect and give appropriate guidance and feedback.
- Be open-minded, flexible, empathetic and encouraging.
- Mentorship is a valuable practice which helps develop your leadership skills.
- It's a great way to volunteer your time!
To become a mentor and to find out more, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Danielle Carter and Tony Blair
"The Woodsworth Mentorship Program gave me the confidence I needed when applying to jobs in the real world. My mentor provided me with insight into the employment relationship, the jargon, the culture, as well as the benefits and downsides of the industry. Through the mentorship program, I received an in-depth overview of the industry I was entering, which solidified my decision to pursue it. The Woodsworth mentorship program is an amazing investment and I highly recommend it to anyone who is considering it; you won't be disappointed."
"Being a mentor is a privilege and a pleasure. I have been given so much by this great institution -- the University of Toronto -- so I feel it is my duty to return, to share all that I have been given."
Zixin Huang and Dan Acheson
"The program expanded my understanding, not only on a future career, but also on life."
"Mentorship is a process of engagement, unlocking the unspoken and [providing] timely affirmation. Zixin has been a delight to meet with and exchange ideas. Being a mentor is about listening, interaction, feedback and elaboration (LIFE)."