Skip to main content
Unsupported Browser
Your Browser is out of date and is not supported by this website.
Please upgrade to Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer 11, or Microsoft Edge.

Frequently Asked Questions

Prospective students

I previously took university courses but I dropped out and/or failed all of my classes; am I eligible for the program?

If you’ve attempted previous university-level courses, you may not be eligible for the Academic Bridging Program. In cases where there may be extenuating circumstances that caused you to leave studies or you experienced a health, mental health or other personal challenge, appeals for admission can be considered on an individual basis. Please book an appointment with an advisor if you’d like to discuss this process.

I have completed a degree in another country and it is not recognized in Canada, or I would like to study in another subject area.

The Academic Bridging Program is designed for individuals who have not attempted degree studies. It is not a way to bridge international credentials to equivalent degree programs in Canada. If the international education you have completed has been deemed not to be equivalent to a four-year bachelor’s degree or higher, please contact us to book an appointment so that we can review your eligibility.

What should I include in my Statement of Intent?

  1. Why do you want to pursue studies in the Academic Bridging Program and at the University of Toronto?
  2. Why is the Academic Bridging Program right for you at this time?
  3. What goals will the Academic Bridging Program help you to achieve?
  4. What are some challenges you anticipate in the Academic Bridging Program (i.e. academic rigour, financial difficulty, time management, building relationships, etc.)?
  5. What is your financial plan for the Academic Bridging Program and future studies at the University of Toronto?

Are there any application fees?

There is a one-time, non-refundable $95 application fee.

Am I eligible to live in residence as a student in the Academic Bridging Program?

Students entering the University of Toronto via the Academic Bridging Program are not eligible for residence.

What if I’m interested in studying in a program outside of the Humanities or Social Sciences streams, or with another faculty?

Applicants interested in studying the Humanities and Social Sciences can do so following the completion of either the part-time or full-time program. Applicants interested in studying the Life Sciences or Math and Physical Sciences should apply for the full-time science option. However, some programs in these streams may require the completion of additional Ontario Grade 12/4U subject requirements.  

If you want to continue studies at University of Toronto Mississauga or University of Toronto Scarborough, you will need to meet with an advisor to discuss your options. You may need to submit a request to be considered for admission outside of the Faculty of Arts & Science. 

In some cases, students may use their grades from the Academic Bridging Program to enter studies at other divisions at the University of Toronto or other institutions. Please see the information below:

University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM) and University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC)

  • Students who wish to study at one of the above campuses may be able to meet the academic requirements for admission to selected programs by completing Academic Bridging. An internal transfer application is required, which students submit after registering in our program. The internal transfer application can be found here:


OCAD University


Faculty of Music

  • Students who wish to study in a Music program may be able to meet the academic requirements for admission by completing Academic Bridging. An internal transfer application is required, which students submit after registering in our program. The internal transfer application can be found here:
  • Students should contact the Faculty of Music first to ensure that they may be eligible for admission based on other requirements as well (e.g. audition, supplemental application):

Current students

When and how should I pay my fees?

The deadline for making minimum fee payments or deferring your fees will be included in your admission information. The deadline is usually before the first day of class. Fee payments can be made in several ways:

  • through online banking
  •  in person at your bank (make sure to print your invoice from ACORN and bring it with you)
  • on ACORN using a credit card

I have received notification that I will be granted the Noah Meltz Bursary. What do I need to do to claim this bursary?

The Noah Meltz Special Bursary is automatically credited to your student account. If there are any excess funds, they will be issued to you as a cheque in the mail or via direct deposit if you have enabled this option on ACORN. You are responsible for checking your account on ACORN to ensure that all of your fees are paid.

Are there any academic support programs available with my course?

Yes. As a student in the Academic Bridging Program, you have access to all the supports and services that every Woodsworth College student can access.

I missed a class/in-class test/deadline for an assignment. What should I do?

If you miss a class/test/assignment, you should notify your instructor right away. You may be asked to provide supporting documentation for an illness for a missed assessment. It is always a good idea to discuss situations like this with an advisor as well.

When and how will I receive my final mark?

Final grades are only posted on ACORN and can be viewed typically three-to-five weeks after the examination. 

Something has come up — how do I withdraw from the Academic Bridging Program?

The Academic Bridging Program follows the withdrawal dates and deadlines of the Faculty of Arts & Science, but if you cannot continue in the program, please visit the Office of the Registrar or email us right away to talk about the situation. If you just stop attending the course or doing the coursework, you may fail the course and have a failed grade permanently on your academic record.

Transferring into degree studies

Do I need to submit an admission application to continue studies after Bridging?

No. If you complete one of the Arts options with at least 63 per cent, or the Science option with at least 73 per cent, you will be admitted automatically to the University of Toronto, Faculty of Arts & Science as a student for the following September session.

I have my final grade; what is the next step to select courses for September? 

If you achieved a mark of 63 per cent or higher, you will have successfully completed the program and you’ll automatically receive your admission information in June with instructions regarding course enrolment. You can also consider:

What if I don’t want to start my degree studies immediately? 

If you want to take a break before beginning your degree, you can absolutely do so. When you wish to return to studies, contact the Woodsworth College Office of the Registrar to meet with an advisor and go through the re-registration process.

How do I get a transcript for my Academic Bridging Program/Pre-University course? 

How many credits will I receive from the Academic Bridging Program?

  • If you complete the part-time option of the Academic Bridging Program, you will earn 1.0 full course equivalent (FCE) towards your degree studies. 
  • If you complete the full-time option of the Academic Bridging Program, you will earn 2.0 full course equivalents (FCEs) towards your degree studies.