Letter of Permission (LOP)

A Letter of Permission, often referred to as an LOP, is an official letter of approval granted by your home university. The LOP allows you to take courses for credit at the University of Toronto for a specified session to transfer the credits back to your home university for the purpose of completing an undergraduate degree.

You should request your Letter of Permission as early as possible. 

Fax: (416) 978-4088

Please address all enquiries to


1. Your Letter of Permission should include your full name.  Please ensure the first and last name on your application form matches the first and last name on your Letter of Permission. Mismatches may cause processing delays.

2. The Letter of Permission must be on official letterhead, and include the academic session in which you want to take courses (i.e. Summer 2017 or Fall/Winter 2017-18). Remember, you must obtain and submit a new Letter of Permission for each session.

3. The Letter of Permission should indicate that you will be taking courses at the University of Toronto as well as the course code and title of each course your university has given you permission to take (i.e. ANT100Y1-Introduction to Anthropology). It should also indicate that the courses are to be credited to your degree at your home institution. Please review the Prerequisites and Restrictions section regarding the courses available to Visiting Students.

It is strongly recommended that your Letter of Permission list more courses than you intend to take to give you more flexibility when it comes time for course enrolment. Visiting Students may register only in courses listed on their Letter of Permission. Visiting Students may not repeat a course that they have previously passed at their home university or in a previous session at the University of Toronto.


Please send us your Letter of Permission by email to or by fax to (416) 978-4088.