A Letter of Permission, often referred to as an LOP, is an official letter of approval granted by your home university. The LOP allows you to take courses for credit at the University of Toronto for a specified session to transfer the credits back to your home university for the purpose of completing an undergraduate degree.
You should request your Letter of Permission as early as possible!
WHAT SHOULD YOUR LETTER OF PERMISSION INCLUDE?
1. Your Letter of Permission should include your full name. Please ensure the first and last name on your application form matches the first and last name on your Letter of Permission. Mismatches may cause processing delays.
2. The Letter of Permission must be on official letterhead, and include the academic session in which you want to take courses (i.e. Summer 2017 or Fall/Winter 2017-18). Remember, you must obtain and submit a new Letter of Permission for each session.
3. The Letter of Permission should indicate that you will be taking courses at the University of Toronto as well as the course code and title of each course your university has given you permission to take (i.e. ANT100Y1-Introduction to Anthropology). It should also indicate that the courses are to be credited to your degree at your home institution. Please review the Prerequisites and Restrictions section regarding the courses available to Visiting Students.
It is strongly recommended that your Letter of Permission list more courses than you intend to take to give you more flexibility when it comes time for course enrolment. Visiting Students may register only in courses listed on their Letter of Permission. Visiting Students may not repeat a course that they have previously passed at their home university or in a previous session at the University of Toronto.
SUBMITTING YOUR LETTER OF PERMISSION:
1. You will have the option of uploading a copy of your Letter of Permission with your Online Application.
(You are allowed to submit a revised Letter of Permission if you decide to enrol in additional courses after you have applied)
2. If your Letter of Permission is not attached to your online application, it will be considered incomplete. Students are responsible for ensuring that Woodsworth College receives the Letter of Permission by the deadline. Students can submit their Letter of Permission to Woodsworth College by fax, email or in person:
Woodsworth College, Visiting Student Program
119 St. George St.
Fax (416) 978-4088
Our office requires 2 weeks to process a complete application. A complete application consists of the online application form, $90 non-refundable application fee and valid Letter of Permission.
Letters of Permission that do not comply with the above guidelines will not be accepted, resulting in an incomplete application.